Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Prolonged fever, high ESR. Suggested urine test. What is the problem?

My niece has been sick for over a week, with high temperature. Today in a private clinic we did her the blood test . She had no cold , no flu , just high temperature. The esr showed 110, the dr was shocked, so were we. He repeated the test again, but again it showed 110. He said that we should do also the urine test tomorrow morning to give a better diagnose of what the problem might be. But we are really worried, she might have something bad! She eats and plays normaly. She is only restless when she has high temperature
Asked On : Sat, 10 Nov 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  192
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response

Thank you for your query.

ESR is a very non-specific test and does not lead us to anywhere. I would have appreciated if you had shared the values of the total and differential leucocyte count. You should go ahead with the urine examination.

As your niece is eating and playing normally a wait and watch approach would be advisable. In case the above mentioned counts are raised the doctor would prescribe suitable antibiotics.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your niece an early recovery.


Answered: Sat, 10 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Santu Garai's  Response
you didnt mention patient's age. she may be pregnant , in pregnancy ESR become high. or if the patient is having anaemia , then ESR may be very high. in any inflammatory contitions of the body levl of ESR rises above normal level. these are polymyalgia rheumatica., rheumatoid arthritis etc.
Answered: Sat, 10 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor