Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Problem with molar tooth, hard lump at gum line, abscess. Root canal required?

I have had trouble with my 6th right molar for about 3 years. It has been filled and repaired so much there was more filing than tooth :( Occasionally it gets real painful and Ive taken antibiotics to calm it down. Now there is a hard lump under the tooth at the gumline, the gum is reddened and a small ulcer is over the lump. I guess it is an abscess? Only it seems very hard (i though it would be soft?) there is a small ulcer over the lump too. I guess I have to bite the bullett and get root canal or pulled...God knows where I will find the money for that...:((
Asked On : Thu, 4 Oct 2012
Answers:  5 Views:  3398
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Dentist, Prosthodontics 's  Response
Thanks for posting your query.

After reading your symptoms, it looks like an abcess to me. Sometimes if the infection has been there for a long time and is only subdued due to repeated medicines then it becomes chronic and therefore may appear as a hard lump.
I would recommend you to visit your dentist as you may require either a root canal or an extraction depending on the condition of your tooth and the underlying bone, which will be decided only after an xray of the tooth and the surrounding area.

Hope you feel better soon.
Answered: Thu, 4 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Welcome to HCM
I went through your problem & it suggests that you are suffering from chronic periapical abscess or phoenix abscess.Its because of faulty restoration which might resulted in some infection.Taking medicines is not permanent cure for that & by now infection has resulted in sinus opening. I suggest you to for proper investigation like get an IOPAR done of associated tooth & consult your dentist immediately. It seems by now your teeth might be too weak after getting so many times restored & we need to check its periodontal condition also before making treatment plan.Depending on remaining tooth structure left & periodontal condition of teeth,it will be decided whether to save it by RCT or get it extracted.
Meanwhile start with amoxiclav-625 antibiotic twice a day along with zerodol-sp thrice a day.Also take Rabeprazole 20 mg once daily in case u have any gastric problem.

Take Care

Answered: Sun, 7 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Udaykumar Bondre's  Response
Hello & welcome,

Your molar tooth which was previously restored seems to have developed periapical abscess, that's why you are seeing hard lump on the gingiva related to same tooth.

Now, the swelling or lump is hard & here is the clue. You have taken antibiotics for prolonged period i guess without draining that infection in the molar. Probably this caused the abscess to indurate & thereby Antibioma has been formed.

First off all, stop the intake of Antibiotics and visit your nearest dentist to clinically evaluate the tooth & swelling. Dentist will then make straight line access to pulp chamber to drain the periapical infection in the tooth.

Use of Antibiotics will be decided by your dentist only.

X-ray has to be taken to know the periapical condition of the tooth. If dentist feels its ok, then yes, you will have to undergo Root canal treatment .

If you can not afford the Root canal Treatment, then extraction will be the only answer.

Take care.
Answered: Sat, 20 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Santanu Sain's  Response
according to the history provided by you it seems that you are suffering from chronic periapical will be better to consult your dentist ASAP without taking medicine blindly.a radiograph is needed prior to treatment.then only it can be decided whether your tooth will be recovered by tct or extracted....becase if there is grade 2 or 3 mobility in your tooth then it is better to go for an extraction followed by implant or fpd.wish you good health.thank you.
Answered: Thu, 4 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Geoffrey Ward's  Response
Hello and thank you for your comment.
Based on what you have described you either have an endodontic abscess which requires root canal therapy, a periodontial abscess which requires scaling and root planing with flap surgery or possible extraction due to tooth fracture. It is important to go in and have it evaluated by your dentist. Abscesses are typically firm especially if they are not actively draining and full of pressure. Cellulitus which is another type of infection similar to an abscess is fluctuant and sometimes soft.

Best regards

Dr. Ward
Answered: Sat, 13 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor