Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Primary syphilis, chancre in penis. TPHA test positive, HIV test non-reactive. Am I HIV negative?

i was diagnose have THPA positive this month of (Nov 2012), but the last time a had sex was 5 years ago. does it mean im in tertiary stage? even without experiencing secondary symptoms of syphilis .?? few months ago im experiencing the symptoms of having primary syphilis, i found chancre in my penis . my HIV test is Non Reactive. does it mean i am HIV negative??
Asked On : Tue, 4 Dec 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  229
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Dermatologist 's  Response
i do not think u are in tertiary stage .actually tertiary stage occurs only after secondary stage is present.sometimes TPHA test positive indicates only past infection and vdrl should be done to know whether infection is present or not .tpha once positive will be always positive through out the life unless treated in time.time factor does not indicate tertiary stage it is only the symptoms which decide it,.hiv test nonreactive indicates u are hiv negative
Answered: Wed, 2 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
HIV AIDS Specialist Dr. S. Murugan's  Response
Welcome to HIV.

You had primary Syphilis and TPHA positive, and now remains without any symptom. You had your exposure 5 year back. This means that you are now having late latent Syphilis and not in Tertiary Syphilis.
Nonreactive HIV test indicates that you free fro HIV.
Dr S.Murugan
Answered: Wed, 2 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor