Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Presence of knot near ear, about a size of quarter, raised. What could it be?

Hi. I have one big knot above and in front of my left ear about as round as a quarter and raised pretty big. I do not have it in the other side. Do u have any idea what it could be? I also wondered what type of doctor I need to schedule an appt with. I do not have a regular family doctor. Could u please get back with me when you have time? Thank u. Have a great day.
Asked On : Sun, 17 Jun 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  76
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response

It could be benign swelling like a lipoma, fibroma, or just an inflammatory swelling due to trauma or infection.

You need to consult an ENT specialist for this. An FNAC of the knot can confirm the diagnosis and you can go ahead with treatment.

Hope this helps.

Great day to you too.

Answered: Sun, 17 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Athish Peter Margos R's  Response
Based on your brief history,one differential diagnosis could be a dermoid cyst.The classical location of a dermoid cyst is just lateral to the eyebrow,which is were you seem to be mentioning the swelling to be.
Dermoid cyst is a benign swelling consisting of mature elements.So the chances of progressing to complications is pretty small.Sometimes it may extend into the deeper layers.It is usually common in younger age groups.
Treatment consists of excising the swelling in total.You can fix up an appointment with an ENT surgeon or a general surgeon and get it worked up.
All the best.
Answered: Sun, 17 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
Allergist and Immunologist Dr. Suman Kumar's  Response
Answered: Sun, 17 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor