Prescribed Macrobid for UTI, developed symptoms of kidney infection. Can take Macrobid during breastfeeding?

I was prescribed Macrobid for a UTI, however within 6 hours of taking the first dose, I developed symptoms that are more like a kidney infection : pain on my lower back left side, and a rash of raised red bumps on the backs of my thighs. I've read that Macrobid is not the right medication for a kidney infection. Am I taking the right thing. Also, I am breastfeeding a 19 month old part time. How dangerous is it to breastfeed while on Macrobid?

Thu, 14 Nov 2013
Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum.
Macrobid (nitrofurantoin ) is a most potent drug used for UTI .
As you stated that there developed rash and red bumps , so these may be due to side effect of this drug.
But as you stated that you got kidney infection due to this drug is WRONG. This is a bacteriostatic drug and bacteria can cause infection not drug.
2nd thing this drug is contraindicated in under 2 years, since you are a breast feeding mother , so may be harmful under 2 years child.
Consult your treating doctor and get his opinion.
Good luck. Dr. HET