Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Prescribed Glyconet, have glucose intolerance. Can the drug be withdrawn after normalcy?

I have been prescribed glyconet500SR on present reading of 150/216 FSB/PPBS. Diognosed with glucose intolerance in 2006.Was controlling sugar levels by diet .During these 6 years periodic check ups sugar levels sometimes showed beyond the normal range. Recent upsurge may be because of liberty with diet. Whether the drug is to be taken before or after food. And can the drug be withdrawn after normalcy ?
Asked On : Sun, 18 Nov 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  71
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Diabetologist 's  Response
Aug 2012
Hello, Mr Mehta.

With this sugar reading one is called to have overt diabetes. You were having glucose intolerance till now but now you have type 2 diabetes for sure.
The tablet Metformin (Glycomet) is a wonderful drug for your kind of patient and does not have any serious side effects. It brings down your sugar from up to normal but does not take it down further to hypoglycemic range.
Your sugars will certainly be controlled with this and eventhough you stop it, sugars will look normal for a month or so. But due to your body's tendency of not tolerating food liberty and sedentary lifestyle, you have got the frank diabetes. If you continue to be like this then it's unlikely that you could stop the tablet. But if you start exercising and follow the diet the way your doctor has told you, lose weight and increase your body's stamina to exercise further then you'll be the winner and you can stop the tablet metformin with maintained good sugar control for years.
But be informed, any gap in efforts of losing weight with good diet and exercise will take you back to the need of tablets. So keep doing your best without breaks and most importantly keep regular watch on sugars and other parameters like cholesterol, BP etc as advised by your doctor even during period when sugars are maintained in normal range for long time.
Wish you good luck.
Answered: Sun, 18 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Akhilesh Dubey's  Response
Welcome to HCM
Your FBS and PPBS level according to current diagnostic criteria is Diabetes type II and it is important to know what is your age ,and your height and weight,as if you are over weight or have central obesity associated metabolic syndrome.
Metformin is very good drug for your class of patients.
You should also get a Lipid Profile and HbA1c to know abnormality.
You have to follow good life style changes
1) Take diabetic diet 25 K cal/kgbody weight and avoid food with high glycemic index and fatty food including fried and processed food.
2) take up 5-6 km walking on daily basis.or out door sport.
3) If by chance smoking /drinking is there stop completely.
This hard work to be continued even your blood sugar level is controlled.
Once every thing is well controlled it is possible to give a trial of drug free interval and see what happens to blood sugar by checking FBS,PPBS and Hb A1c level.
If in spite of your effort blood sugar level is high, You will have to take medicines regularly there is no harm in taking such medicines.
You can lead almost normal life.
Take care
Good luck
Answered: Wed, 21 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor