Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
163 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Prescribed Glycipage. Should I take it to help reduce weight?

hello sir, I am Nithya,i am 26 years old. I got married recently few months before. I have one doubt regarding a tablet Glycipage. This tablet is sugessted by my physician at my native and said this tablet wil make me to reduce my weight. Now my weight is 65 kg. As per BMI it is heavy weight the physician said.But I was told by my friends that the tablet is sugested for Diabetics patients only.Since I am not a diabetic patient, Shall i have the Glycipage tablet for reducing the weight or not.
Tue, 30 Apr 2013
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hi Nithya,

Welcome to HCM,

Thanks for posing your concern,

You are not a diabetic just Over weight and your weight is 65 kg it depends on your height, if your BMi is more than 30 than there may be insulin resistance and what is known as metabolic syndrome.

Associated with PCOD in many women.

Please take care of diet and exercise as taking low calories in diet and regular Physical exercise is best way to reduce weight.

You should consult Physician and Gynecologist to see if Metformin is indicated in your case or not.

In very Obese patients Metformin helps to reduce weight,you should not take it without professional advise.

You are not diabetic and Hypoglycemia is less common with it but can occur.

Please take care

Good Luck
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I was diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes since December 2012.I was having glycipage for the last one month yesterday I went to a doctor for second...

Recent questions on  Hypoglycemia

doctor1 MD

My baby is 3 years old(female) weight 10kgs. She earlier suffered with seizures(infantile spasms) from the age of 6 months. Doctor prescribed...

doctor1 MD

Can you name an illness that mimics pyruvate carboxylase deficiency in terms of symptoms (minus mental developmental delays)? My 2-year old and...

doctor1 MD

Hi my name is Haley an I am 16 years old, and for about 3 months now I ll randomly start to feel dizzy and constantly black out, and whenever it...

doctor1 MD

Hi, my name is Sarah and I m writing this in regards to my fiancé Chris. This past Saturday around 1 in the morning I got home and found Chris...

doctor1 MD

what could cause chills all the time with no fever

doctor1 MD

What is mild diffuse cerebral dysfunction? What is FRIDA? What is background slowing?

doctor1 MD

my mother often feel shaky and lightheaded between meals. she was just told by a doctor that she does not have hypoglycemia