Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Pregnant with twins, ultrasound during 26 weeks shows twin A deceased. Reason for baby's death?

Hi Dr, I was pregnant with twins and when I had ultrasound at 26 weeks then Twin A was deceased, Tech told me that in my earlier ultrasound(which was done at 18 weeks) Twin A was significantly small,but the Tech who did the ultrasound earlier or my doctor didn t told me anythng about that. I was just shocked and I m still in shock. When I ask my doctor He said he don t want to me stress me out thats why he didn t told me anything. I m still wondering what could be the reason of baby s death and why doctor didn t sent me to specialist ? I m not satisfied with my doctors ans.
Asked On : Tue, 19 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  41
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dec 2012
Hello Sidhu,

Thanks for posting on HCM,
I sympathize with your situation and I know it must be difficult right now, but be positive as the other twin is apparently still in good shape.
One the greatest cause of death of one twin is a complication known as twin-twin transfusion syndrome. Here the intervascular communication between the mother and the both babies is in such a way that one of the babies is favored (in terms of blood, oxygen and food supply) where as the other twin is deprived. The vascular communication is usually between both babies, there by making that one baby received every supply from the mother, while the other receives little or nothing from the mother. This arises to poor growth and development ( already noted in previous ultrasound) where as the other twin grows even as twice the normal size of a baby with healthy organs ( such as heart, lungs etc). The previous doctor normally would have told you about the condition. There are several treatment options available for twin-twin transmission syndrome ( so needed to consult with a gynobs for treatment options), even though must of the treatments are still under study.

Hope that this helps
Answered: Wed, 20 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor