Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Pregnant with swollen bruised knee after a fall. Walking with a limp. Severe pain. <br>X-ray not advised. What to do?

Hi, i fell down stairs 6 weeks ago. When i fell my knee bent under with my foot ending up at my back. At the time my knee swelled and i had bruising around the knee, down the inside of my leg and around the ankle area. Eventually settled enough that i could walk on it but i am still walking with a limp as it hurts to fully straighten my knee/leg, it feels like it is going to snap. The past 2 weeks it has been very painful when walking immediatley from sitting down, it is also very painful at night so much so that i wake when moving position or am woken by pain when i have stayed in the same position for too long. My biggest glitch is that i am 28 weeks pregnant so cannot go for an xray but i am starting to get worried now as it is getting more painful as time goes on. Would appreciate if u could let me know your advice. Thank you
Asked On : Sat, 30 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  41
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
It seems like collection of the blood around the knee "HEMATOMA".
Based on the information it very important to know what is going on in your knee, but since you are pregnant you can't go for an X-RAY , the other viable option is "ULTRASOUND" & "MRI"- can be used in such cases.

Best thing to do is to consult an ORTHOPEDIC surgeon near you and have him look at your condition, it can happen that based on his experience he may come to diagnosis even with out going for "MRI".



Here is what they normally tend to do
1) Physical exam,
2) May need to "ULTRASOUND" Depending upon the FLUID. and if blood it can be extracted out via needle. / MRI - in case of ligament tear.
3) May give conservative therapy like heat, cold therapy since you are pregnant.
4) May need to give a local injection to reduce the swelling to get it better quickly in case of swelling.
5) May need to inject pain killer depending upon the pain and situation.

HOPE IT helps.
Answered: Sat, 30 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor