Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Pregnant with pus cells in urine. Reason?

Hi, My sister is 28yo, and she is 8-months pregnent. She has 80-90 pus cells in urine test. Pus cells were much less, and the number is rising very quickly: Just last week it was 25-30. What is the reason, and what should she do? She is following up with a gynecologist , but she is thinking of also seeing a urologist . Thank you! Samar
Asked On : Wed, 13 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  58
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
Hello Samar,
The pus cells in urine indicates urinary infection.
She will need treatment for urinary infection including antibiotics.
She need to consult her gynaecologist, so that she can prescribe her antibiotics which are safe in pregnancy and at the same time will effectively cure her infection.
She needs to drink plenty of liquids orally.
If she has taken antibiotics previously and was not treated, I would suggest to get a urine culture sensitivity test done to find out the causative organisms and the effective antibiotics.
If the treating gynaecologist feels so, then she can have an opinion from urologist.
Hope this information is helpful.
Dr. Mrs. Sumeet Baheti
Answered: Thu, 14 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain's  Response
Hi and thanks for the query,
abundant number of pus cells in the urine, especially with an increase in the number is a call for concern. However, urinalysis and urine cast analysis cannot only be done on the basis of pus cells alone. It would be interesting knowing whether in the urinalysis the nitrites were positive or not, and if its the case, its an indication of a urinary tract infection, It would warrant a urine culture with sensitivity tests for appropriate anti biotics. I suggest she gets to meet the gynecologist for a complete reevaluation and completion of some biological tests and parameters for appropriate diagnosis and management.
thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Answered: Thu, 14 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor