• question-icon

Pregnant, reduced Hb levels, diagnosed it as chronic anemia. Taken Orofer S iron infusion 8 times in first pregnancy. suggestions ?

I am pregnant(26 weeks) with my second kid and have anaemia . I had similar condition during my first pregancy. In my first trimester, my Hb level was 9.1 and now it s 7.9 (at the end of 6th month). I have consulted many doctors(internal medicine) for this. they have done a series of test like iron stores, thyroid , B12, folate level and even for thalassaemia. All the test results were well within range and they diagonosed it as chronic anaemia. I have taken Orofer S iron infusion 8 times in my first pregnancy but it din t boosted Hb by even .1. I delivered my first child at Hb level 9. Now, my doctor is again suggesting for 8 iron infusions and has said that i will even require blood transfusion . I am a vegitarian but I am eating well(raisins, figs, spinach , beetroot, pomegranate etc are part of my daily diet). I am scared of blood transfusion. Can you suggest me what step should I take next? Also, how much shall I reach for delivery?
Mon, 11 Mar 2013
Hello
thanks for your query.
You are definitely quite anemic.
As all other conditions have been ruled out by tests, you should now test for liver and kidney functions, as that sometimes causes anemia of chronic diseases.
Also, it is strange that you did not respond to IV iron in the past.
If you fail to respond to Orofer injections this time around, you would definitely require blood transfusion.
Anemia is defined as HB