Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Pregnant, picture not clear on ultrasound, prescribed neogest. Does it cause birth defects? Safe?

Hi Dr . Samuel,

I am 7 weeks pregnant and my doctor told me to take neogest 200mg once daily as he thinks that my baby is not growing becoz the picture is was not clear on ultrasound. He could only see a g.sac and yolk sac. i am worried as i googled and found out that taking this tablet can cause birth defects in the baby.

please advise.
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  128
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
Thanks for your query.
neogest is the drug to support the pregnancy in 1st trimester.
As in your case at 7wks your USG shows only g.sac and yolk sac no foetal cardiac activity is present,so your doctor give neogest to support your pregnancy.
Neogest(progesteron) has no side effect or birth defect on pregnancy.
So don't worry and take care.
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor