Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
191 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Pregnant. Discharges with awful smell. Is it a heavy growth of a streptococcus species?

I am 3 months + pregnant. I have been having this discharges with not so awful smell, no pain when I urinate. Just itches from time to time especially in the evening when I get back from work. My urine macs result - epith cells - ++ , pus cells - 2-3, hpt T vaginalis - nil, yeast cells - il, others : bacteria. Then for cultures isolates ; yielded heavy growth of a streptococcus specie. Pls kindly explain the implications and way forward. Also is it something that my partner can contract from me and transfer back to me. What category of antibiotics or mode of treatment would be best in second trimester. Can it harm my baby? Thank you. Email addy- YYYY@YYYY
Thu, 18 Oct 2012
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,   ,   ,  
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM
You have mentioned that you having a discharge which causes itching and has a disagreable odour.
Culture reports are showing growth of Streptococcus and negative for Trichomonas and Candida. This condition is called Bacterial Vaginosis or Shift in Vaginal flora.
Normally, the enviorment of vagina is acidic which allows the survival of a rod shaped bacteria called Lactobacillus.
When the enviornment of vagina is disturbed due to any cause eg pregnancy, fall in immunity, reduction in estrogen hormone, there is growth of bacteria which are not normally present in the vagina.
The treatment is a course of antibiotics. But since you are pregnant the choice of antibiotic will be critical as a drug which does not cross the placenta and does not reach your baby will be required.
You need to consult your gynaecologist for prescription of a safe drug.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, Im 45 years old and get a heavy growth of B-haemolytic Streptococcus Group B. My Gynaecologist give me a penicilin. last month my period...

Recent questions on  Bacterial vaginosis

doctor1 MD

Hello, recently I have been having a lot of vaginal problems. I treated myself for Bacterial Vaginosis with some flagyl and it lead to a yeast...

doctor1 MD

I recently went to the gynecologist and was treated with antibiotics for a vaginal infection. I was also told that I could use rephresh to help...

doctor1 MD

I just received word on a spinal xray that stated I have extensive calcification of the lower abdominal aorta. I am a brittle diabetic of 52. I am...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I m an American living in the West Bank and have suffered from vaginosis (e. coli) for the past several months and severe stomach pain for the...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am suffering from vaginal infection itching since last two years. i consulted two to three doctors in last two years. they all prescribed...

doctor1 MD

HI, I'm a 40 yr old who underwent an embolization for fibroids 2 years ago. Since then I've experienced cases of bacterial vaginosis and now...

doctor1 MD

What at are the symptoms of vaginitis . I have lower abdominal pain and itching in vaginal area with no discharge. I am having low back pain . This...