Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

Possibility of further injury after compression fracture, protection required ?

My son had a compression fracture on his thumb that was caused by just catching a baseball and pulling the thumb directly back into a hyper-extension position. Just curious on the general recovery time as the xray does not appear as a normal line fraction and more of just a bump in the bone which makes sense with the word compression . Is there less risk with this type of injury if he continues to play if the thumb is protected or immobilized to prevent further injury?
Asked On : Mon, 30 Apr 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  145
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Seems its just a bony contusion :
1. Protection or Immobilisation of thumb and adjacent joints for usually 2 weeks takes care of the soft-tissue injury or ligamentous sprain incurred during injury,
2. Followed by mobilisation of thumb can gain a good function.
Answered: Thu, 3 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor