Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Positive Mantoux skin test. X-ray shows nodular opacities. Prescribed R-Cines. Curable?

Hello sir My daughter aged 18 has been tested positive for Mantoux skin test Measured Erythema 15-18 mm Her X ray test report shows small nodular opacities noted in right lower zone Probably Granulomas Doctor suggested R-Cines and Pyzina 750 for 20 day each one tab per day Is it curable and how long it takes to get normal with regards Prasad India
Asked On : Wed, 27 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  64
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Hi joysulaprasad

considering positive montoux test and nodular opacities in right lower zone clinician has made the diagnosisof TB.
Effective treatment includes 2HRZE/4HR that means 2 months of isoniazide, rifampicin, pyrazinamide, ethambutol and 4 months of isoniazide and rifampicin.

Daily doses being isoniazide(5mg/kg), rifampicin(10mg/kg), pyarazinamide(20-30mg/kg) and ethambutol(15-20mg/kg).
Probably ethambutol is not in your regimen. ask your doctor for the same.
there should not be underdosing of the drugs.

don't be panic.its a curable disease.

best wishes
Answered: Wed, 27 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Maruti Karale's  Response

Small nodular opacity in right lower zone along with positive Mantoux indicates tuberculosis but it needs to be clinically correlated.

Does she have fever,cough with expectoration?
Does she have contact to tuberculosis patient?
Is she immunocompromized?

She has been started on 3 drug AKT (Anti-koch's treatment) ,but according to RNTCP or WHO guidelines 3 drug AKT is not indicated for tuberculosis.

She needs to be started on 4 drug AKT.R-cinex,Pyrazinamide and Ethambutol should be started and it should be given for 2 months followed by 4 months of R-cinex means a total of 6 months treatment.

Visit to chest physician for better guidance and further treatment.
Answered: Fri, 29 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor