Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Polio. One leg shorter than the other. What can assist treatment?

Sir my name is 1111. I am architect. i am in Bangalore. I attacked polio on age of 9th month for my left leg. now i am 32 years old. Weight is 62 kgs. My left leg is 5" shorter than right leg. I am taking my hand support to walking. i cant able to run also. Without support i want to walk & I want to strength my left leg also. Is there any chance to make like that. Please tell me the good doctors in bangalore who make like that. Financially i don't have problems now, But i don't want to bed rest more that 1 month. Please suggest any good doctors its very helpful for me.
Asked On : Sun, 31 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  40
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
Let me tell you certain bare facts about polio -
* there is no way that you can strengthen the polio affected muscles of your left leg at this point of time. Because the polio affected muscles will not have the inherent "tone" which normal muscles have and will not have proper nerve supply making them very weak and atrophied.

You can definitely walk without support by using CALIPERS (Visit an artificial limb center or an orthotic manufacturer for this purpose).

You have not mentioned whether the shortening is 5 "cms" or 5 "inches". This shortening can be corrected by technique of bone lengthening called "ILIZAROV BONE TRANSPORT OR OSTEOSYNTHESIS" . So consult an orthosurgeon with good experience and reputation in Ilizarov fixation (I hope there will a handful of surgeons in bangalore) and follow his advice.

Hope this information is helpful to you. Regards
Answered: Tue, 9 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor