Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Pocket of fluid above knot on shin after injury. Normal?

2 weeks ago today i fell quite hard playing softball, hitting my shin with my cleats. it bruised up quite nicely and had a small knot on my shin. the buising has since faded. what concerns me now is pocket of fluid that has formed just above the knot. it is quite disturbing as i can displace the fluid...much like playing with a water balloon. if i press in the filled area...another area will inflate. does this fluid seem normal after a nasty fall?
Asked On : Tue, 9 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  409
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us

Every trauma brings a risk of bone fracture (even if the symptoms do not point it) and blood accumulation due to vessels rupture. Such blood accumulation can cause hematoma which sometimes turns into and abscess.

After 2 weeks most of mild contusions (except fracture and hematoma) should disappear and no pain should be present after such time.

That is why I suggest you to visit your doctor and have and X-ray performed. Soft tissues ultrasound should be also considered in case of no changes in the X-ray.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.
Answered: Wed, 28 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor