Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Pinkish white spot on the lip. Due to sun exposure?

I got a pinkish spot on lower lip ,but when i stretch my lower lip, it appears white. I got no pain or not but I am concerned about it. I am from the Caribbean and I spend allot of time in the sun all my life to present. Went to a doctor before and he said it could or is sun exposure and I started to use my saliva to keep it moist and it disappeared for a little while.
Asked On : Mon, 3 Dec 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  81
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Dentist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM
I would like to tell you that there are few possibilities & to rule out its important to know the sign & symptom like:-
-if it occurs at corner of mouth & causes itching then it can be angular cheilitis
-it can be angioma if it is painless & disappears on stretching, you can get blanching test done to rule out.
For more detailed diagnosis need to go for biopsy.

Take Care
Answered: Fri, 14 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Chris Herman's  Response
Sun damage to the lower lip is very common for people that spend a lot of time in the sun. The lower lip especially because even when wearing a hat, low lower lip is still exposed most of the time. What you are describing however sounds more like an angioma of the lip. If it is not an open sore and looks like it is just under the skin, then most likely it may be an angioma. An angioma is a benign lesion made up tiny vessels. If this is the case then I would not worry about it. However it is always a good ideal to consult with a dermatologist or and oral surgeon.

Good Luck!
Answered: Tue, 4 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
Thanks for writing in.
I read your problem,as you provided the detail,your dentist is right this is because of sun exposure.
The reason could be-
1.Actinic chelitis
So i will suggest you visit An oral surgeon as soon as possible and get the thorough examination done including biopsy.
And after final diagnosis take a proper treatment accordingly.
Nothing to get worried.
Take Care
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Answered: Wed, 12 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor