Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Personality and mood disorder from childhood, took medicines, conditions worsened. Recommendations?

Hello, I was just wondering if I were to go to my doctor could they evaluate me to see if I have a personality or mood disorder, or do I have call around to a specialist? When I was very young I was evaluated with depression but the doctor who said that I had depression said it could also be a personality or mood disorder but because of my age she just wanted to treat it as depression. I went through many different medications that only made my symptoms worse so I stopped going to her and stopped medication. I am now living in a warm state, it seems to help a little but I still struggle with issues and would just like to find out what for sure it is I have and treat accordingly. Thank you for your time and help.
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013
Answers:  6 Views:  125
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Dec 2014
Welcome to HCM

In your query you have not clearly mentioned that what symptoms you are having exactly. You have mentioned the diagnosis only. Still I would like to tell you that usually Psychiatrist don't label an individual to have some personality disorder in his/her teen years. Personality usually develop at around 18-22 years of age. Yes mood disorder like depressive disorder or bipolar disorder may present in teen years. Abnormal temperament may be a finding only. Still if the problems are causing distress to you and affecting your social and occupational functioning then please visit a Psychiatrist for expert evaluation.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Nehal Shah's  Response
thanks for using health care magic.
as you have not mentioned clearly about your symptoms, it s difficult to say what you have.
for the information, It is not possible to put personality disorder in the teen age as there may be a change in personality as you may grow older.
Mood symptoms may be part of traits of personality disorder or it may be an individual disorder.
You should consult qualified psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and proper management.
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I appreciate your effort to seek help. Like your doctor had rightly mentioned, mood instabilities in adolescents and young adults can often be due to personality disorders.

A detailed history and a psychological assessment (including personality tests) are required to arrive at a correct diagnosis. For this, I would advise you to consult a psychiatrist in your area in order to have a detailed evaluation. Further treatment will depend on the diagnosis, but there are effective options in the form of medication as well as pyschological therapies which can help you control your mood problems.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Gourav Monga's  Response
Welcome to health care magic
I can understand your situation. I appreciate your effort to seek online support.

As per your details, you are possibly having underlying depression which is one of the mood disorder. For this consult a psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and management. Following treatment strategies would be helpful-

1) Antidepressants like SSRIs (escitalopram, sertarline, paroxetine etc)
2) Antianxiety agents like clonazepam, lorazepam, alprazolam etc
3) Psychotherapy/ Counselling sessions
4) Relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation, deep breathing etc

Hope it helps
Good luck
Dr. Gourav Monga
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Srikanth Reddy's  Response
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your given history in detail.
In your description you have failed to mention the current symptoms.
Personality disorder cannot be diagnosed until you are 18 yrs old. moreover personality disorder do present with mood like symptoms and can confuse a GP initially.
For differentiating a mood disorder and a personality disorder you should visit a specialist.
If your symptoms have been present this long and with out remission, it is more likely to be a personality disorder. The final diagnosis can only be made after a good mental state examination.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Answered: Tue, 16 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The differentiation / diagnosis can not be made by your GP or family doctor.
You have to see a qualified Psychiatrist.

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Tue, 16 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor