Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Perforated eardrum while surfing. Will using hydrogen peroxide or alcohol help prevent infection?

Hi. I just perforated my ear drum while surfing and am wondering the best way to keep it from getting infected without using antibiotics . Should i put some hydrogen peroxide in my ear or alcohol? I know there is ocean water and whatever else in their since i just Got out of the water so I imagine it will get infected since my inner ear is exposed... your thoughts?
Asked On : Tue, 4 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  589
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Oct 2013
hello dear
thanks for your query at HCM
middle ear and external ear are separated by ear drum.
if there is any perforation in ear drum then middle ear will be in direct communication with external environment.
so putting hydrogen peroxide might damage sensitive hearing parts inside middle ear.
consult ENT specialist determine the nature and location of perforation, take medication or surgery according to doctor. do not put anything in ear until doctors advice
Answered: Wed, 16 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor