Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Pelvic ultrasound showing bulky uterus with cysts. Irregular menstruation. Should I be worried?

hi i am shweta and i want to know that doctors recomended my mother to do pelvic ultrasound because one or two times she got irreregular mansuration cycle. she is right now of 46 years and report showing that there is a bulky utereus in size anveterdutereus measure is 9.4*5.5*5.1 cms. cervix is also bulky. there are cysts of 4-5mm. what it means. is any problem. should we have to worry. what are the treatment is available is above case. yometrial and endometrial echoes are normal. there is no fluid collection uterine cavity .
Asked On : Sat, 7 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  48
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
Mar 2014
hello and welcome,

Your report does not mention where the cysts are. If they are in the ovary the size is small and no worries. However they may cause irregular bleeding. If they are in the cervix, most likely caused by locked nabothian gland ducts that are found in the cervix. Again these are non cancerous and need no treatment. The uterus is big in size and it may also be causing irregular bleeding due to hormonal imbalances or a condition called adenomyosis where the uterine muscles become big and also the uterine lining begins to grow inside the uterus.
Other reason for irregular menses may be perimenopausal period. Abnormalities of thyroid also cause irregular bleed.
The cysts seem to be in cervix [ if I am not wrong]. I suggest you get a D and C done to take and endometrial biopsy and a therapeutic curettage [ remove the endometrium as much as possible to control bleeding]. A cervical biopsy can also be taken at the same time to check for the cysts. A blood TSh will also help.
Further treatment will depend upon the pathology report.
Discuss this with your gynecologist.

Do not worry. These are common after 45 years. They just need a bit of evaluation and treatment.
Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist
Answered: Fri, 21 Mar 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor