Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Pelvic pain, cystic ovaries, had tubal litigation. Take birth control?

For over a year I have had incresing right sided pelvic pain . I went to a GYN finally because has become unbearable. I was advised I have a 1.5 cm cyst on my right ovary . Previous medical: I had a tubal ligation in 2006. I have always had normal periods, four normal pregnancies and deliveries. The GYN told me I should take birth control to alleviate the symtoms along with the pain. I requested a hormone level test and he said that it is not relevant. Can you clarify?
Asked On : Mon, 28 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  16
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Diabetologist 's  Response
Aug 2012
Hi there.

Did your GYN see the ovarian cyst by doing an ultrasound scan? The hormone tests like LH, FSH, Prolactin and testosterone will certainly give a clue why the cyst has appeared there and what to expect next. Hnece it's better to get them done. Once confirmed that the big cyst has occurred due to hormonal imbalance then only it makes sense to treat yourself with birth control pills to get rid of the symptoms or otherwise surgical removal will be suggested in case the pain is severe. The big cyst should not grow further as there is a chance of making your ovary bulky, heavy and twisted causing another emergency. Get back for any further query.
Answered: Mon, 28 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor