Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Parkinson's disease, have periodic sharp abdominal pains, occasional constipation. How can I relieve pain?

My 84 year old mother has recently ( last 4 days) been experiencing sharp pain in the left side of her abdomen , at about the same hight as her belly button. The pain is so severe that she yells out in pain. It goes away in a few seconds and she feels OK, however it keeps coming back. She has had a bowel movement the previous day, although constipation is a problem. Any suggestions what I can do to relieve the pain, should I be taking her to a Doctor. She also has Parkinsons, thus movement is limited. Thanks for your advice.
Asked On : Fri, 6 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  64
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
General Surgeon 's  Response
Hi ! Yes, if she gets the pain regularly and the severity increases, then you have to show her to a doctor to exclude any surgical problem like diverticulitis (common in persons with constipation) and a ureteric colic for which he may advise her to undergo an ultrasound abdomen, and a colonoscopy if need be. If all these are negative, then this pain could be a central pain arising from brain, an infrequent symptom of parkinsonism. In that case, your family physician may give her only symptomatic treatment.
I wish your mother to recover from her pains soon.
Answered: Thu, 13 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor