Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Parkinson disease, bed ridden with constant pain. Lost ability to swallow tablets. Want Parkinson specialist?

Hello Dr. Grief. My name is Isbelle St.Clair-Hope. I have an 84yr old mother in a nursing home who has had Parkinson's for over 10 years now. She has lost the ability to swallow tablets whole and her lavahaxal has to be crushed. Because of this, she is only receiving 2 hours of mild relief from the extreme pain she is living with. I can't get her G.P. to look into this. therefore I am DESPERATELY looking for a Parkinson Specialist who will treat my mother. She is fully bed ridden and in constant heavy pain. A visit to the Sandgate Masonic (post code 4017) home would be preferred. However, if this is not possible I will transport her via ambulance to an appointment. Thank you for any help you are able to give. I truly am desperate for some professional help for her. Isbelle.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Oct 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  15
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I feel your pain..I am so sorry for what your mother is going through. I understand your frustration and totally understand why you would want to try other options. I hope together we get to figure out what works best for her.

Her symptoms are suggestive of the late stages of Parkinson's disease. If her pain cannot be controlled by the ongoing medications, then let her doctor consider getting her on injectables or a patch that would at least control her pains. I doubt if anything different can be done to improve her swallowing because in the terminal stages of this illness, all drugs no longer have an effect on the disease. However, knowing that your doctor has listened to you and has provided appropriate answers is going to be a very huge relief and comforting component.

I will rather suggest that you go to a local clinic and request for the doctor's directory to locate for a specialist. It would be pretty difficult to get one directly fro a vast site like this.

Please, pay attention to her swallowing difficulties as she can easliy aspirate and sustain pneumonia which is one of the leading causes of death in patients like her. Talk with her physicians and make sure measures are taken to address it.

I know this doesn't provide the doctor as you want but this has provided you with enough guidance to make a sound decision based on. I wish her the best of possible outcomes and hope you get to find a doctor who pays nough attention to your details.

Dr. Ditah, MD
Answered: Fri, 18 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor