• question-icon

Parathyroid gland, supra renal hormone deficiency. Medications to be taken for life. Incurable condition?

Dear Doctor, I hope that you are doing great and in good health. My 10 years old female sister has what the call parathyroid gland and suprarenal hormone deficiency. Our doctor said that: it is a life time deficiency; she must continue take medication all her life because the problem can not be fixed by surgery! My question is: Since we life in the XXXXX, I wanted to double check with the XXXXX doctors, Is it really a life time condition, and no surgery can fix that?
Mon, 26 Nov 2012
Diabetologist 's  Response
Dear Nosa,

Thank you for the query here. You sister has got polyglandular syndrome of endocrinolpathies and it indicates that your sister MUST be treated with supplements for the hypoparathyroidism, addison's disease for lifelong. And to be honest, you people must keep watch on her thyroid functions, and blood sugars. Because these kinds of patients tend to develop type 1 diabetes, hypothyroidism, menstrual problems. Also all the family members in immediate blood relation MUST be checked for throid deficiency or excess, sugars, calcium levels and AM cortisol as this condition can be genetic and everybody should be screened regularly
Coming to your question, yes, the problem is lifelong and no surgery can cure this. The simple reason is- she has deficiency of some hormones those are normally secreted from some glands of the body- so what will you operate on to solve the problem? Nothing. She must be supplemented with the hormones and medications your doctor has suggested you and take care of her physically and emotionally so that she does not feel conscious about her health and grows well.
Please try to understand and any western doctor will also give you similar response as we in India work and treat patients on very updated parallel guidelines as those of the westerns.