Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Paranoid about pregnancy, severe anxiety. On birth control, safe sex. Any mental issue?

My boyfriend and I have used protection in having sex. We started 6 months after I was with him (3 years later after we were good friends)... I also am on birth control and take it religiously. We are both 19 years old. On Christmas night the condom broke and ever since Christmas of 2012 he has been severely worried about me possibly being pregnant. I have had normal periods, been to the doctor, nothing reassures him. During the Christmas time his grandfather died, his mom was having mentally ill spells again, etc. He had a lot going on, but I still can't explain his irrational fear of me being pregnant. It's better to worry than be naive about me not getting pregnant, but nothing I say to reassure him that I not, helps. Nothing. Severe anxiety runs on his mother's side, as well as his brother. He doesn't really worry as much about other things, just about me being pregnant. He worries a great deal more when his mom calls him, or if he has any contact at all with her. Does my boyfriend have a problem or is this normal?
Asked On : Sun, 21 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  30
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hi Adhagarty,

Welcome to HCM Forum,

Considering family history of mental illness,having irrational - excess fear, thoughts about imaginary pregnancy,not able to relived by reassurance - "definitely indicates that your boyfriend might have some kind of Mental illness ".Exact kind of illness only be determined after detailed in person interview by psychiatrists.

Its important to know that when such symptoms starts disturbing relationship and affects work efficiency then its right time to go for psychiatrist consultation.Earlier the treatment you starts more chances that positive outcome will occur.These illness can occur to anyone , at any age but can be fully treatable.

So please consult to nearest psychiatrist earliest.After thorough evaluation he will give you various options and you can choose best amongst which suits.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.
Answered: Tue, 23 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

The anxiety and fear which your boyfriend is having regarding your pregnancy, despite knowing the fact that you are on regular birth control and are having regular periods, is disproportionate and irrational. So, it is quite likely that he is suffering from an anxiety disorder. This possibility is strengthened by the fact that he has a very strong family history of anxiety.

I would suggest that you ask him to see a psychiatrist for a detailed psychological assessment, so that appropriate help can be given for him. There are effective treatment options - in the form of medication and psychotherapy, which can help him control his excessive anxiety.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Mon, 22 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor