Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

Painful lumps under skin that turns into bruise few days later. What is the cause?

What type of Docter should I take my 16 year old to see? We went to a Dermatologist but she said she had never seen this before and we should see another specialist. My daughter gets lumps under her skin that are very painful to touch, after a few days to a week the skin above the lump turns into a bruise . Mostly on her legs and one to her lower back.
Asked On : Tue, 29 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  761
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response
Hi Lynda,
Your daughter might be having a skin condition known as erythema nodosum. In most of the cases underlying cause is not known, however it may occur in association with infections, drug intake, pregnancy etc.It manifests as painful lumps underneath the skin that bruise and later on disappear in few weeks time. These may be associated with fever, weakness joint pains etc. The treatment involves course of steroids along with oral antiinflammatory drugs.
The case is usually diagnosed by a dermatologist or a physician alike. You may consult a doctor specialising in dermatology or medicine or a rheumatologist for the same.

Hope that answers your query. Take care.
Answered: Tue, 29 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor