Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Painful lump with discharge in belly button. Healed on medication. Relapse of the infection. Need antibiotics?

Hi there, I have had infection in my belly button about a year ago. Started as pain right above my belly button, especially when I bent or put stress on my stomach . about a week later, I noticed a a little bump right on the upper wall of my belly button. I got it checked with the physician and she said it probably an abcess and advised to let it drain by itself. Couple of days later it burst and fould smelling discharge was draining. Got healed by it s own without taking any meds. The problem is it started again. Since last couple of days I ve been getting that same pain in the same area. Question is shall I leave it alone or start an antibiotic course or something?
Asked On : Mon, 6 Aug 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  839
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
  Anonymous's Response
Hiwelcome to HCMForum. what you had above the belly button is an abscess having some organism ,at some point it bursts and evacuate almost all the pus. A milli fraction of the pus left undrained is with bacteria, and they start growing when grow enough to cause infection it flares and cause infection to form an abscess again.
I advise you to consult a surgeon for diagnosis and treatment. with drainage medicines also should be given. Thanks for calling.
Answered: Mon, 6 Aug 2012
General & Family Physician Dr. Bimal Desai's  Response
Thanks for query,
You have recurrent infection.
Proper cleaning & removal of debris is required to protect from repeated infection.
There are chances that the smelling discharge coming from cyst may be sebeceous one.
Take your doctors opinion for need of incision .If your doctor feel the need to start antibiotics he can do it.
Answered: Mon, 6 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor