Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Painful lump near vagina. What can I do about it?

I am a female, 63 yrs. old. Recently noticed a lump while showering. It is on my inner right cheek crease near vagina . It is uncomfortable but not extremely painful. I have been putting hot compresses on it when possible everytime I go to the bathroom. I seems to have gotten smaller but not completely gone. What can this be and what can I do about it?
Asked On : Sat, 23 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  22
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello, thanks for using HCM.
From the description you have given, it is most probably that you have a bartholin's cyst.
Bartholin cyst is an accumulation of fluid in the bartholin gland. This is cause by a block in the exiting canal of the gland. This usually produces moderate to severe pains and is located on a single side of the vulva.
Generally, small to moderate cyst require just self care treatment with warm sits baths lasting 10-15minutes and about 3 to 4 times a day.
The dreaded complication of cyst is infection or persistent enlargement of the cyst. When there is super infection, there is severe pains. However both abscess and voluminous are treated by drainage and with antibiotics.
Best regards and hope this helps

Answered: Sun, 24 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor