Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Painful lump in right breast, diagnosed granulomatous mastitis, prescribed steroid. Alternatives ?

i have got a painful lump in my right breast . biopsy got done . the disease by the final diganosis is granulomatous mastitis . the doctor has prescribed me the steroid i e wysolene 40 mg . i m not willing to take it because of the side effects. is it actually necessary or there is any other option available. please suggest
Asked On : Wed, 24 Oct 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  200
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Sep 2012
Hello, Welcome to HCM,
Firstly, granulomatous mastitis is a broad diagnosis which includes many disease like infective causes ( i.e. tuberculosis, sarcoidosis,) , foreign body reaction ( any breast implant, other foreign body granulomas).
Now, before starting steroid some basic investigations are to be done like
1. Base level complete blood count
2. Any history of pulmonary tuberculosis, any history of diabetes etc.
3. The biopsy sample should be searched for presence of any acid fast bacilli like tuberculosis which lead the disease to another route.
so, first consult with your treating doctor for the probable cause. Then start steroid. Because any other disease except the tuberculosis, steroid is the mainstay of treatment.
That is all.
Answered: Wed, 24 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Veera Raghava Rao Buddha.'s  Response
Hi welcome to Health care magic forum. Granulomatous mastitis is a benign condition growth in the breast of child bearing age women. it is characterised by swelling and some times pain of the breast. Usual line of treatment is incision and drainage of pus. Some doctors practice with treatment with steroids, but with more chances of recurrance.
Instead of ignoring the medical treatment you express your feelings to your doctor. Then he will opt to other surgical treatments. Because some thing should be done to have a relief.
Besides i advise you some diet restrictions as avoid taking pulses, sprouts, potato and other tubers, and fish as these tend to increase the pus formation.
Wishing for a quick recovery and thanks for calling.
Answered: Wed, 24 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor