Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Painful knots on the left side of face below temple in front of ear. What could this be ?

I have this knot thats painful on the left side of my face below my temple in front of my ear , you can t see it but you can feel it and it make me feel real bad from the pain all on the left side of my face. it even hurts to wear my glasses what could this be? I just had an mri and about 2 1/2 months ago and they said it wasn t nothing and i was hurting bad then
Asked On : Fri, 7 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  421
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM
Presence of a painful knot like structure below the temple area can be a soft tissue swelling or giant cell arteritis.
A clinical examination is essential to narrow the possibilities.
A soft tissue swelling can be due to growth of fibrous tissue, muscle, adipose tissue, blood vessel etc.
A fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) is required to know the character of the soft tissue swelling. It is an office procedure with minimal side effects. Depending on the findings on FNAC treatment can be planned.
The second possibility is of giant cell arteritis is due to inflammation of the wall of temporal artery.
To confirm or rule out this possibility some investigations are needed- ESR and vessel biopsy.
Consult your physician for further work up.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Answered: Fri, 7 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor