Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Painful ear infection. Hearing impacted with puss. Can I put cotton ball in outer ear?

my son just started antibiotics for a ear infection a day and a half ago, this is a re-treatment. The original infection we thought had cleared up, only to be going through the same again, but more painful. This morning my son woke up with a wet ear.. There is a lot of pus coming from the ear canal to outside. His hearing was impacted yesterday and is talking loud, his entire ear hurts, and behind it. I ve cleaned it up, but can I put a cotton ball in the outer ear? and should I take him back to the doctor ?
Asked On : Sun, 9 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  32
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
There can be two reasons of pus discharge in your case. Chronic suppurative otitis media, where thre is a hole in ear drum and discharge occurs. there can be pain along with but not always. The other can be discharge coming because of infection in the external auditory canal which will be painful. Both need ear toileting and antibiotics with analgesics and CSOM will need oral decongestants also. In both you can put antibiotic ear drops and antifungal drops may be needed along with in EAC infection. Please go to an ENT, make a diagnosis. If CSOM, and perforation is large, will need surgical repair for that, if very small may heal on its own. In EAC infection cleaning and keeping the ear dry should suffice. Regards
Answered: Mon, 14 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor