Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Painful bump on buttocks. Is this pilonidal cyst?

I have been having a minor bump on the cleft between by buttocks . In place of a bump, you could probably term it as a minor inflammation. At times it is kind of painful. It has a good chance of aggravating if I sit down at my desk at office for a long time and do not move around. I did a lot of google search and infer that it could be a case of mild form of pilonidal cyst . But whether it is such a kind of a cyst or not, I would like to know if there is a way to alleviate the pain when occurs again and again. Also is there a more permanent solution to this? By the way, I do have recurrent cases of hydradinitis suppurutiva on both my armpits which I treat by using dermatologist-prescribed hibiclens solution and a mix of aczone gel and clidamycin lotion. Nevertheless, the HS would keep recurring. But I have learnt to live with this part now. I am more concerned about the pilonidal cyst. I hope we could deal with this without having to go for a surgery as I do not have the money for it nor time. In the interim time, I intend to give warm compresses for the pilonidal cyst. Any ideas on how to tackle my situaiton?
Asked On : Sun, 31 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  248
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response
Hi, thanks for posting your query

It may be a pilonidal cyst or even a boil.

Pain and tenderness indicate some infection so you may take oral antibiotics and analgesics for pain .Continue with the warm compresses. Apply antibiotic cream locally .

But if it is recurrent surgery is the only option.
You need to visit a doctor for proper diagnosis and get treated accordingly .

Hope this helps you.

Answered: Tue, 2 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor