Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Pain while breathing and stretching. Do I have a broken rib or bruised muscle?

I got up out of bed last night and was kind of hunched over. I coughed(Don t have a cough) just once and had a bad pain below my right rib. I actually thought I had broke a rib. Now, (next day) it hurts when I breathe real deep or if I lean back into a strech. Just wondering if I bruised my lung or pulled a muscle, or cracked a rib?
Asked On : Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  59
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response

Your symptoms are more alike to a pulled muscle than other problems you suspect.

I'd suggest to :
- apply warm clothing to the pain area (but first check for any bruising or injury)
- apply local analgesic creams
- take acetaminophen/ibuprofen for the pain

If no improvement within a week, can consult your physician for further evaluation.

At last, avoid quick movements such as stretching or heavy coughing.

All the best!
Answered: Sat, 4 Jan 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor