Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Pain under the rib cage, constipation, difficulty in urination. Urinary tract infection?

Recently I started having a dull pain on my left side around the top of my hip and the bottom of my rib cage. Im short so that's about the width of your hands at the knuckles wide. I have been constipated lately but I'm on softners as well. The pain started last night when I had any type of release that dull pain appears & I had also noticed I would have to urinate really bad then once I've gotten in the restroom my mind was telling my body to release the urine and it felt as if I was urinating...................then it finally came. Do this sound like a urinary teak infection?
Asked On : Fri, 12 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  45
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

Although your symptoms could be related to a urinary tract infection, in the presence of a gastrointestinal disorder or abnormality, we cannot confirm the same without investigations. Because of your condition of constipation, the gut (which is closely located) to the urinary bladder, can put pressure on the urinary bladder, sending a stimulus to the brain, to empty the bladder, whether or not it is distended (filled with urine).

But, we will have to rule out/confirm abnormalities of the urinary tract as well. This can be done with the help of a urine analysis and/or a urine culture and sensitivity test. These investigations will provide vital information on the presence of an infection. Once confirmed, we can treat you for the infection, which in most cases, should not recur.

If these investigations rule out the presence of an infection, then we will have to look into other possible causes of the increased urge to urinate.

Also, the explanation provided by you in the last line, is a little unclear. Is it that when you visit the toilet to pass urine, your urine does not pass immediately, and you have to wait for a while for it to pass? Also, do you have other symptoms like: decreased stream of urine, decreased force of flow of urine, dribbling of urine, falling of urine on feet or floor close to feet, etc? If you experience any of these symptoms, and you are a male (please mention your age and sex in all queries, as this is vital information); then you will have to get your prostate checked. If you are not a male, you can completely ignore this part of my response.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Answered: Tue, 23 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor