Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Pain, swollen lump behind ears. Relief with antibiotics, warm compression. Should I continue same treatment?

A couple of days ago I notice a small lump behind my ear near the bottom. This morning a woke with a fair amount of pain and increased swelling . My ear lob has double in size and the swelling behind my ear is huge. I saw a nurse practitioner this afternoon and she prescribed antibiotics and advised to put warm compressed on the affected area which I have been doing for several hours. The pain now is getting to be no fun and the swelling has not subsided. My question is should I continue with the treatment plan or should I go see a physician? It s a real pain in the .....ear! Thanks
Asked On : Mon, 10 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  82
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
ENT Specialist 's  Response
First of all i welcome you to HCM.

I was going through the questions sent to me by HCM and i picked your questions as the most important one. I very much appreciate your concern to your condition and also the detail history you have given.

Being a doctor, i would like to answer your health issue first and then talk to you. OK!!!

Now, let me concentrate in the following line ----- "My ear lobe has double in size and the swelling behind my ear is huge".

This i think is clearly proceeding towards "cellulitis". The cause may be many but "infection" and "pus under tension" are few of them. If you have history of ear discharge, then it might be bezolds abscess. Anyway, the cause can be made out only after examination. So, straight away I would like to advise you to get checked by an ENT specialist. So, here lies the answer to your question ----- “My question is should I continue with the treatment plan or should I go see a physician?”

Ans: You should immediately consult an ENT surgeon

Definitely, you can continue with your antibiotic if it has been suggested according to Culture & Sensitivity.

BUT, you should consult an ENT specialist, as only after examining he will be able to tell whether pus is there or not or only cellulitis. Mind it, if there is pus, it must be drained out. It’s an universal rule. Only antibiotic is NOT allowed in this type of condition.

Anyway, please do not worry, nothing is a big issue. Your condition is definitely curable. Please keep the mental strength and have faith in almighty.

I think, with this, i could at least ease some of your pain if not all. I wish you an early recovery and a very very healthy life ahead.

Thanks and take care
Answered: Tue, 18 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor