Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Pain over thumb area. History of injury to hand. Could this be tendonitis?

yes , thank you. i had fell on my right hand last year and the palm area bruised badly and base of thumb area was sore. a year later when a try to open a jar the base of my thumb area hurts. I never had any xrays done because i have no pain in any of my fingers or thumb and am able to move them without any discomfort. Now i am wondering if I have tendonitis in my lower thumb base area and if i shoud go to a orthopedic dr . How to i did the pain to go away?
Asked On : Wed, 10 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  54
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
Thanks for writing to us.
It looks like tendonitis. You can settle your tendonitis with appropriate physiotherapy.You should perform specific flexibility and strengthening exercises to get your wrist and thumb strong and healthy.
Wrist and thumb exercises can help your wrist recover or can even prevent tendonitis from occurring.Even a few minutes of stretches or exercises per hour can bring comfort and restoration.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Gautam Sipani's  Response
Hello, this looks more like gamekeepers thumb which occurs due to injury to the collateral ligament. You need a clinical check up to get diagnosed and a MRI hand for confirmation. If confirmed you might need a ligament repair. Please consult a hand surgeon. Thank you
Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Symptoms one year after injury calls for investigation
Further delay may end in permanent damge...
You must see an orthopaedician.
Meta-carpo-phalyngeal joint, ligament, tendon - any of the may be responsible / only the concerned specialist can assess and assist.

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Fri, 12 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor