Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Pain on the side of cheek due to accidental biting, looks indented and sore. How long will it take to normalize?

hey there, i just have a quick question. i woke up this mourning and i have a pain on the side my cheek so i check it out and its like a huge piece of my month is hanging over i think. it looks like i bit it while i was sleeping and now its like en dented and vary sore i was just wondering if you ve heard of anything like that and or how long or if it will go back normal
Asked On : Wed, 10 Oct 2012
Answers:  6 Views:  812
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Dentist, Periodontics 's  Response
hi, it seems that you accidently bit your cheek while sleeping, it will heal spontaneously within a week. You can apply mucopain gel on the affected area twice a day for pain releif, avoid eating hot and spicy foods till it heals.
take care
Answered: Thu, 11 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Udaykumar Bondre's  Response
Hello & welcome,
First relax as cheek biting while sleep is a common thing that can happen with anyone.
The only thing for which i am concerned is that as you have mentioned " a huge piece is hanging over".
This is because usually cheek biting while sleeping is not so extensive as to cut of large part of your cheek.
But if it is so, you should undergo oral examination for the same by dentist as it may require to get sutured to heal properly.
Wound in oral cavity heals faster than on any other part of body except those on face.
*So, here most important is get your wound examined by a dentist to rule out need for suturing.

Take care.
Answered: Thu, 11 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda's  Response
hello and welcome to HCM forum,
i am glad you posted your query,
i would like to inform you that if you that the tissue that is bulging on the inner side of your cheek is nothing but the soft tissue which was bit by you accidentally while sleeping , it will take approximately 3-5 days for the tissue to revert back to normal.
i would recommend you to visit your dentist if the check is hurting too much, a topical gel will provide relief.
use an antibacterial mouth wash(twice/day) for 1 week, to avoid chances of infection.
i hope i answered your query,
i wish you good health.
Answered: Thu, 11 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Dentist Dr. Geoffrey Ward's  Response
Hello and thank you for your question.
Based on your description it sounds like you bit your cheek in your sleep known as Morsicatio buccarum. The best thing to do is apply warm salt water to the area. Swish and spit 10oz of warm salt water 4-6 times a day to decrease the swelling. If the symptoms persist longer than five days, go into your dentist to be evaluated for other possible pathologies. Most are benign. It will return to normal within a weeks time unless you continually bite your cheek.

Best wishes and good health

Dr. Ward
Answered: Wed, 10 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Inderpreet Singh's  Response
relax . since you haven't provided any history i presume it was overnight and thus probably due to cheek biting .if the area is tender ( pains ) apply mucopain or dentogel like topical anaesthetics. if the problem persists you may also apply kenacort gel but mucopain would suffice
Answered: Fri, 12 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
hello and welcome,
do you had any insect/worm bite while sleeping?if you can see any punctum at the affected site,this may be result of such bites.
salivary swabs/lip/teeth marks can be used for further investigations.if it is poisonous and it entered into body,antivenom treatment can be done.
if this is only cheek biting,apply dologel/mucopain ointment on the affected site.take dolo-650,twice daily for 3 days and cap.spamox-500mg ,thrice daily for 3 days to relieve pain.
also check the occlusion of teeth.if there is any traumatic bite,get it corrected by orthodontic appliances.
Answered: Wed, 10 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor