Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Pain near shin, no swelling, dull pain along shin bone. Bruised bone or serious condition?

Hi, I have a problem on my shin bone. About 3 weeks ago i developed what i thought was shin splints as it was the pain you associate with the start of them, the dull ache along the shin bone. However now i have a pain near the bottom of my shin that does not seem to be going away. It is fine when i walk short distances and does not hurt when i am resting it but when i put pressure on the area it hurts like an intense bruising pain. There does not seem to be any swelling around the area and the pain seems to be easier when i apply ice to it. Could this be just a bruised bone or could it be something more serious thanks
Asked On : Sun, 22 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  192
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Thanks for writing your query
After going through the brief description. The cause most likely is stress fracture, have you recently started physical exercises/running? For now my advice would be take a break from running for few days (7-10), if you are doing running. Take ibuprofen to reduce pain and do ice fomentation.
My advice for you would be-
1. Gradually increase the running length and speed preferably on weekly basis and to be followed by ice fomentation.
2. Take balanced diet rich in calcium (1000mg/day) and vitamin (1000 i.u. /day) along with vitaminB12, B6.Vitamin D is available in weekly dose pattern as well as injection, just talk to your local doctor.
Hope this information helps you. If the problem persists see a doctor.
Take care and I shall be glad to answer any further query.
Dr.chugh Orthopaedic surgeon

Answered: Mon, 31 Mar 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor