Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Pain localized to the lateral area of the foot, in front of the ankle, pain increases on abduction. Podiatrist advice required?

I have a question regarding my foot . I hurt the lateral area of my foot, the pain is localized, the pain is located on the lateral aspect of my right foot near the cuboid bone or infront of my ankle, it hurts more when i abduct it or when I walk on it, it started yesterday when I was putting on my shoe or when I was running, should I go to a family doctor first and ask them to refer me to a podiatrist?
Thu, 14 Jun 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
It seems that you have suffered a hair line fracture of base of fifth metatarsal. An X-ray of the area or MRI is the best investigation for diagnosis. You need to avoid bearing any weight on your foot till then. Consulting a family doctor will be a better option.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal
I find this answer helpful
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist Chinmaya Kumar Patra (PT)'s  Response
Dear there,
wellcome to Health care majic.
your complaints are suggestive of an ankle sprain.
You can follow PRICE protocol to get relief. P- Protection- by proper positioning in neutral position, R-Rest-avoid prolonged weight bearing positions like standing, stairclimbing, running etc, I- Ice- ice cube massage/ cryo pack at least 3-4 times daily for about 2 days + Vapo coolent spray every 2-3 hourly, C-Compression- crape bandage/ ankle cap, E-Elevation- keep your foot above the height of heart with pillow support.
This protocol you have to follow for 2-3 days. If you have some NSAID (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) you would get amazing results.
Application of Kinesiology tape by a cerified Sports Physiotherapist will reduce your pain immediately

Wish your pain comes down soon
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Sudhir's  Response
Hello.Thanks for the question.It would be ideal to see family doctor first and then if needed you can see specialist.In addition the doctor would also want to get a xray of foot done and if needed MRI as well.Few possibilities which need to be ruled out are stress fracture,tendinitis,ligament sprain or tear etc.Mean while rest ankle,apply ice,use crepe bandage and oral analgesics to reduce pain.Thank you.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor