Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Pain in upper spinal area, chest pains. Smoker, takes alcohol, worked out. Causes for pain?

I smoke cigs and drink 2-3 times a week. I am having pains in my upper spinal area and chest pains. These pains came on yesterday, and the day before yesterday I worked out for the first time in a while. Before I did that i was not having pains like I have now. I took a day off and then did a light 15 min work out yesterday and the pains got worse. Help :)
Asked On : Wed, 2 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  17
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dear Concerned.,
Thanks for writing to us.
In your history you have not mentioned your age/duration since you have been smoking?have you also developed breathing difficulty during work outs?
In all probabalities it could be an Anginal attack /Angina pectoris we call in medical terms.
During excercise there will be increase in blood flow to the extremities and due to clogging of respiratory passage and /narrowing of various blood vessels due to your smoking habit , the airflow through bronchi getting reduced and blood flow through coronaries being reduced due to narrowing /clogging, there will be lack of oxygen and nutrients and also accumulation of metabolites in
cardiac musculature leading to Ischemia and pain .This needs to be immediately investigated.
Have you consulted any doctor/paramedic to check your Pulse/BP/breathing pattern at that time?Pls get your Vitals Checked in a nearby health centre.In addition get investigated by ECG/Chest X-ray/Baseline blood/Urine Examinations/Lipid Profile(Most Important).
These days even in secondary healthcare units they have Non invasive 64 slice CT Angiogram availability to delineate exactly the type and extent of lesions.Pls get investigated and consult a Cardiologist.
Coming to the immediate First Aid., you must be given coronary vasodilators such as sorbitrate/antiplatelet agents such as aspirin/oxygen/statins/ In Consultation with MD , be shifted to a Cardiac care centre for further management.
Prevention:-(1) immediately stop smoking habit/drinking habit.
(2)Reduce weight by dieting and regular excercise.
(3) Overall life style modifications including developing Type "B" personality if you are Type "A". (4) Regular follow up with your MD.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.,
Best regards.,
Dr Lt Cdr ASN Bhushan.,

Answered: Wed, 2 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor