Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Pain in upper part of chest, near to heart. Test to check for blockage?

Hi Doc, I am feeling small pain in upper part of chest , very near to heart . My query is: What test I can go for to check the blockage in my arteries closer to heart. Can I go for the test without consulting a doctor and based on result, I can consult a doctor. My age is 36 and I am bit overwieght (122 Kgs and Height: 5 11 )
Asked On : Mon, 25 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  23
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dear customer,

The pain can be caused by almost every structure in the chest.The following causes are:

1) Broken or bruised ribs
2) Pleuritis or pleurisy
3) Pneumothorax
4) Shingles
5) Pneumonia
6) Pulmonary embolus
7) Angina
8) Heart attack (myocardial infarction)
9) Pericarditis
10) The aorta and aortic dissection
11) The esophagus and reflux esophagitis
12) Referred abdominal pain, etc

You should have the relevant investigations done like chest x-ray, blood counts, coronary angiography, ekg etc after consulting your doctor.

The coronary artery blockage can be found out with the help of the coronary angiography.

You should have the cardiologist consultation done and aslo have the 2d echo of heart, EKG, stress treadmill test to know any underlying heart pathology.

The treatment depends on the underlying cause.

Thank you!
Answered: Tue, 26 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor