Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Pain in the wrist without injury. Unable to grasp objects. Due to working on computer for a long time?

Why does my wrist hurt? No injury, a sudden onset, ongoing for 24 hours. Unable to grasp objects, close my fist, or twist my wrist or even typing without alot of pain. There is no redness or noticable swelling. The pain is concentrated in the lateral aspect of my wrist by the carpal bones. I can massage the area giving some relief, but it is short lived. I am a computer user, so I am concerned with carpal tunnel. I can flex my wrist upward without pain, Should I immobilize my wrist? Unfortunately, My employment requires computer typing, so I cannot use a sling. Any suggestions?
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  57
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi!. Thanks for your query. You are having the wrist strain due to continuous use. What you need is I suggest Take rest for every hour or two, massage on then start your job. No medication helps in this condition but a bit change in usage of your wrist will give you relief. Take care.
Answered: Wed, 3 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
Based on the description, propably you could be having carpal tunnel syndrome which is a form of "entrapment neuropathy" typically seen in computer type writers.
The only way to diagnose this condition is by "Nerve conduction studies".
This can be managed initially with
* SPLINTAGE with the wrist in Extension
* Use of analgesic and antiinflammatory medications
* Injecting steroids locally which reduces swelling and thereby pain
* Avoid keeping wrist in flexion for prolonged periods
If everything fails, then surgical decompression is the only option.
I suggest you to consult an orthosurgeon for evaluation and definitive diagnosis.
Hope this helps
Answered: Wed, 3 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor