Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Pain in the shoulders and knees. Have psoriatic arthritis. Will this go away when stress levels are low?

Hi, I am a 52 year old woman and I was diognosed with psoriasis about 7 years ago. Over the years I got more and more back pains and pains in other joints like elbows and shoulder and knees. I kept on working but after another break upin the relationship and since my mother passed away in january, i am unable to work at all. The pains were horrible, couldn t walk the stairs or move my right arm. At the hospital i was finally diognosed with Psoriatic Arthritis . I got shots in my shoulder and hip and since then it is bearable but still very sore. Also got perscription for Methotrexate and Folic acid . My questions are the following 1) This all was triggered by stress, does that mean that when my life settles it can just as sudden disappear again? 2) Can I start exercises even though I am still in pain or do I make things worse by doing that? Thanks in advance Hendrika
Asked On : Tue, 26 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  28
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response
hello Hendrika..thanks for your query

I do understand your concerns regarding the pain and well as the stress due to multiple occurrences.

It is important to understand that psoriasis and its outcomes are triggered by stress ,however , the pathology occurring is not only due to that.The exact causes are not yet known, but a number of genetic associations have been identified for psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.Hence , it is important to take the medications and stop them only after proper medical advise .In many cases, a smaller dose of the same medication helps in maintaining the remission and keeps you debility free.

Exercise is advised to many suffering from this concern as this helps in improving the symptoms and maintaining remission .However, any kind of exercise should not be started /pursued without advise and supervision of physiotherapist.So you can consult one and learn what kind of exercises are suitable for you .Hope this helps.Take care..
Answered: Tue, 26 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor