Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Pain in the shoulder after the fall. Feeling weakness in the arm and difficulty in breathing. Need treatment?

hi i am 43 years old last week approximately 10 days ago i fell down and landed on my left shoulder that hurt for a few days and banged my face / side of head on concrete floor. over the last week i have felt very tired early in the day even got up at and had to go back to bed by also have no strength in my left arm and my breathing is very hard like astma also can not move arm over shoulder height mark
Asked On : Fri, 22 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  69
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us.

It might be soft tissue injury or fracture over shoulder. Difficulty in breathing could be due to fracture rib.
Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.
In the interim, you can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting and rest well.

Hope this helps you. You can consult me again directly through my profile
Answered: Mon, 12 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Pediatrician Dr. Sanjuktabose's  Response
thanks for using healthcare magic

To clearly answer your question we need little more information - did you get un concious after the fall , was their any vomiting , do you have head aches, do you have difficulty in vision ?
Your symptoms are suggestive of two possibilities -
1. Cranial nerve injury - leading to arm weakness and difficulty in breathing (vagal nerve injury - diaphramatic palsy) , leading to carbon dioxide retension hence excessive sleepyness.
2. Possible small intracranial bleed leading to all the above symptoms.

Its better you get your self examined at the earliest and you may require CT scan of head and neck region.

I hope you find my answer helpful

Dr.Sanjukta Bose

Answered: Mon, 12 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor