Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Pain in the liver area, CT scan shows mild hepatomegaly, hepato-cellular carcinoma in right lobe. Is there any treatment for this disease?

hi father is 62 yr old. for few days he suffers from pain in his liver portion. then he do CT scan and then he fine in the CT scan report that he suffers with mild hepatomegaly with a diffuse ill-defined mass likely to be a hepato -cellular carcinoma involving mainly the Rt lobe. so doctor pls tell me that is there any treatment for curing this decease . and tell me about the cost of the surgery .
Asked On : Sun, 30 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  105
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
it all depends on the size of the mass. If it's small (less than 5 or 6cm depending on the hospital & country) then there are multiple treatment options, including burning the mass ("radiofrequency ablation"), chemotherapy plus burning ("TACE"), liver transplantation, and liver resection (if he is has no cirrhosis).
If the mass if larger, then treatment is limited. TACE can be done and local chemotherapy beads can be placed in the tumor. Pills of chemotherapy can be given to help increase survival (it's called sorafenib or Nexavar).
Ask your liver doctor to make sure this is an hepatocellular carcinoma (this will be suggested by the CT scan, his history of cirrhosis or not, some special blood tests, and finally sometimes a biopsy is needed).
Hope that helps.
Answered: Sun, 30 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor