Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Pain in the hand, chest and numbness in the arm. Sleeplessness. Should I be concerned?

Hi I m 30 wks pregnant and have had for the last two days a sharp stitch like pain in my left hand side of my chest and numbness like sensation in My left arm . Wen I lie down the pain is worse and I feel like I can t breathe!! What could it be? And how do I fix it so I can get some sleep? Should I be concerned?? Thankyou
Asked On : Wed, 13 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  31
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi and thanks or the query,
chest pain and breathlessness especially in a pregnant woman is an issue of concern. A family history of asthma or night cough could be of interest to know. The fact that the pain increases intensity when you lie down orients towards a mechanical rather than inflammatory pain. Gastroesophagal reflux disease in pregnancy is a diagnostic possibility that must be considered too.
I suggest you take an appointment with your obstetrician. The emergency room could give you some treatment as you wait.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Answered: Wed, 13 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi's  Response
Dec 2014
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You are now in 30th week of pregnancy and are expecting baby's arrival in some more weeks. It is very common in pregnant women in their third trimester to have chest pain, chest discomfort and breathlessness. As baby grows in abdomen it shifts the diaphragm or respiratory muscle upside so there is decrease in size of respiratory area which causes chest discomfort, and may cause numbness in that side. It is normal thing.
Sleeplessness is also common in third trimester, try to sleep in side position. You can keep pillow to support abdomen.
If you are having this problem in increasing severity then visit your Gynecologist. Don't take any medicine by your own.

Wish you a good health

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
Answered: Wed, 13 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor