Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Pain in the ankles with swelling, bruise and blisters. Treatment?

I was playing rugby this weekend and my shin just above the ankle got stompped. I continued to play for another 45 minutes, but after the match, the leg predictably became stiff and sore. I treated it with ice and ibuprofin (and a couple of beers). Later in the evening, it bruised extensively. I wrapped it with an ace bandage and went out to dinner, doing a fair amount of walking around. I m not concerned about any of that. However, when I woke up the morning after the match, there were several large blisters in the bruised area. I ve had several sprained ankles, and there is no sprain; just a lot of swelling , bruising and blisters. Do you have any idea regarding the cause of the blisters? (I m 41, 5 11 , 200 lbs., and fairly athletic. I have never been diagnosed with diabetes or high blood pressure , although there is a family history of both). Thanks,
Asked On : Thu, 1 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  96
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
Hi, thanks for posting your concern in the HCM. In a diabetic patient even a minor injury in the foot may lead to what we call diabetic foot which may be complicated furthermore to produce cellulitis and even gangrene. Diabetes causes angiopathy and delayed wound healing; also the chances of infection are increased. In your case, I think you have already got some soft tissue infection. Imaging should be done to rule out bony injury too. Blood examination including complete blood count and CRP may be needed to rule out spread of the local infection to be a systemic infection. Along with that, Fasting plasma glucose, HBA1c, serum urea, creatinine and electrolytes may be checked. You may also need injectable antibiotics depending on the condition. Wound swab, if necessary and if applicable (in case of ulcer/ gangrene) may be tested for culture and sensitivity. However, please consider this condition as an emergency and do consult your local surgeon for further management. For further information, please write back to us. Regards. Dr. Kaushik
Answered: Sun, 20 Jul 2014
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor