Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Pain in right knee, below patella, diagnosed as quadraceps weakness, pain on running. Treatment?

I have severe pain in my right knee below the patella since last two months. My age is below 40. The x ray is normal. My apprehension was, it must be ligament tear, but the doctor told me it is quadraceps weakness. However I find it exremely difficult to run ( it hurts) to climb down stairs and make quick change in direction. Kindly advice.
Asked On : Fri, 2 Nov 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  36
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Thanks for writing your query to us.

Quadricep muscle weakness can occur due to recent injury due to overexertion,ageing, period of inactivity or sickness, arthritis of knee. The net result is that quadricep muscle doesnot get enough stimulation to remain strong & giving way of the knee occurs. This may occur while walking or while getting in & out of chair or while getting down on stairs.

I would advise you to fix an appointment with a experienced sports medicine physiotherapist . Intensive quadricep exercise will help you to overcome weakness of the muscle.
Take care
Answered: Sat, 3 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Rheumatologist Dr. Divya Agarwal's  Response
yes you may have a tear, the only way to find out is to get an MRI done if you feel that the pain is persisting.
Answered: Sat, 3 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor