Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Pain in right buttock after falling on it, icing gave temporary relief. Still painful. What is it ?

I was playing soccer indoor today when i tripped over the ball and fell on my right buttock. I felt a lot of pain but managed to continue playing for the remaining hour. I applied ice on it for an hour and got temporary relief. It isn t bruised but it quite painful. The pain is generally emanating from my right hip and I m not sure what it could be.
Asked On : Fri, 8 Mar 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  39
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

An xray of the pelvis is necessary to rule out any bony injury to the ischial tuberosity, coccyx etc.

The gluteal muscles might have strained due to fall.

Follow these general guidelines -
* Rest to the local part and don't involve in activities that causes more strain
* Ice packing once in every 2 hours to reduce the pain
* Use muscle relaxant gel as local application
* Moist heat fomentation to relax the taut muscles
* Analgesic medications like Advil or Aleve as needed

If your pain is not resolving with the above measures, consult an orthopedic surgeon for further workup and management.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Thu, 8 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
It seems that as you continued your play after fall, there is less likely of having fracture or dislocation at hip joint.
There might be having soft tissue injury and hematoma.
Take rest.
Apply ice pack 2-3 times a day for few days.
Take anti-inflammatory medicines for 2-3 days.
Ok and take care.
Answered: Thu, 8 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us.
From description it seems to be soft tissue injury .
You need an x-ray to rule out any bony injury.
I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.Beside icing and elevating it, you can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.

Hope this helps you.You can cosult me again directly through my profile
Answered: Thu, 8 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor